Thank You, Grant Morrison

Action Comics #1: YES! Superman is back but wait…Does anyone miss the red underwear?

Action Comics #2: Please, give me more if I am going to pay $3.99

Action Comics #3: Q: Does anyone care about the nullified marriage between Lois and Clark? A: Nope! Young Clark is fun and fresh.



 
Let’s begin with Morrison’s version of Krypton. It’s different and I like it. The peoples’ attire, the world’s design and even Krypto has been drastically changed. Is it just me or is Krypto a little scary? He went from a cute white Labrador to a white Saber-toothed tiger.




One of my favorite changes of the new 52 is Rags Morales’ Clark Kent. I’ve heard plenty of complaints about him looking too much like Harry Potter. Who cares!!! This Clark Kent is supposed to look younger and different. It makes his character fun to read. It’s been way too long since Clark Kent has had a role in a Superman comic.

The bulk of issue 3 is about Clark Kent. He is being harassed by cops, having lunch with Jimmy and Lois and following a lead for a story. Now, to many this would seem boring and useless. For many years, people found Superman/Clark Kent boring because he was too perfect. However, that has all changed. Throughout this issue, Morrison introduces us to Clark’s struggles. He is alone, uninspired and believes he failed his adopted parents. Nothing is more exciting and than a Superman that is down on his luck.

Even though this book was fun to read, there was a little something that rubbed me the wrong way. There was one panel that shouldn’t have been in the book. A random homeless person whispers to Clark, “There’s a ghost watching over you. There’s a white dog.” I understand that the homeless person was hinting at Krypto but its placement was off. Maybe, Morrison thought everyone would get a good laugh. Instead of having a good laugh, everyone was scratching their heads. But knowing the way Morrison works, I have a feeling that Krypto is trapped in the Phantom Zone.

In issue two, we find out that John Henry and Lex Luther are working on a military project called Steel Soldier. When I found that John Corben was involved, I thought “ugh…another Superman: Secret Origins. Corben will become Metallo and fight Superman and everyone will love Superman because he saved the city.” I read that and don’t want to read it again. But…I was wrong. The ending of Issue three shocks the reader. Morrison surprises us with a twist, the introduction of Brainiac and the creation of one of Superman’s oldest villains and probably the most annoying one. At the end of Issue three, Brainiac takes over John Corben. So, I guess Brainiac will create Metallo.


All in all, I give this issue 7.5 out of 10. (Please sir, I want some more)